Fully Immersive Virtual Reality
Voxel Bay is a fully-immersive virtual reality ecosystem that was built from the ground up at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. It’s primary aim: engage patients with a completely immersive experience that facilitates distraction through engagement in a completely novel, challenging and fun environment. Voxel Bay is a vital first step toward to redefining the patient experience during intravenous procedures, and beyond.
Voxel Bay’s success is built on three pillars : targeted games and experiences which provide unique and fun interaction, a custom headset specifically designed for clinical pediatric use, and a suite of tools which puts the caregiver in control of the environments and activities. The platform is currently involved in a clinical trial at Nationwide Children’s Hospital.
In The Press
SXSW: Voxel Bay 1 of 5 Top Finalists for Interactive Innovation Award
Nationwide Children’s Hospital (NCH) and Ohio State / ACCAD are being recognized for being 1 of the top 5 finalists in the area of Health, Med and Biotech, at the internationally recognized SXSW Festival, a very prestigious honor. SXSW is calling these finalist projects the connected world’s best and most forward-thinking.
- Haptic.al: https://haptic.al/needle-phobia-virtual-reality-8d501c59ea42#.8y1oiswt1
- Nationwide Children’s Newsroom: Pediatric Clinic Tests Virtual Reality for Hemophilia Patients during Procedures – 10/6/16
- Science Daily: Virtual reality games make infusions easier on young patients – 10/5/16
- 700 Children’s Blog: Virtual Reality: Using Technology in Medical Treatment – 9/28/16
- National Hemophilia Foundation: Virtual Reality Game Eases Infusion Process in Children 11/7/16
- All Sides with Ann Fisher Interview: “Wellness Wednesday: Virtual Reality, Exercise Inclusion and Mental Health Clubhouses” – 10/26/16
- CBS: Virtual Reality Takes The Pain And Anxiety Out Of Needle Pricks For Parents And Kids – 10/25/16
- VRScout: This Hospital is Using VR to Make Shots Easier For Kids – 10/19/16
- Hemophilia News Today: Virtual Reality Game Helping Young Hemophilia Patients Ignore Painful Treatments – 10/12/16
- Medgadget: Immersive Virtual Reality Gaming Helps Kids With Hemophilia Get Through Infusions – 10/6/16
- OSU College of Arts and Sciences Article: “Voxel Bay: ACCAD Students Partner with Nationwide Children’s Hospital to Create Virtual Reality Game to Comfort Young Patients” – 10/6/16
- News Medical: New virtual reality games create better patient-experience for kids during infusions
- OrthoFeed: New virtual reality games create better patient-experience for kids during infusions
- VR Scout: New Virtual Reality Games Make Infusions Easier On Young Patients
- Alice Grinshencko, John Luna, Jeremy Patterson – Voxel Bay Virtual Reality for Pediatric Pain Management SIGGRAPH 2016 – 7/28/16
- PediatricsNationwide.org – Changing the Game: Virtual Reality Distracts From Pain, Transforming the Patient Experience – 10/14/16
- 2015 Research Retreat: “Virtual Reality as Distraction Techniques : Designing and Creating Interactive Virtual Reality Games for Use as Distraction Techniques in a Pediatric Patient Population” Alice Grishchenko, John Luna, Robert Strouse, Jeremy Patterson, Amy Dunn, MD